4 replies to this topic

#1 Phineas Poe

Phineas Poe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

Hey there.

I am trying to write up a guide for my Engineer build that has different rotations depending on what skills you have equipped. How one handles a Might stacking rotation with the Healing Turret versus the Med Kit is a pretty big difference. Furthermore, I would like the ability to illustrate potential rotations using both the Rifle and the Pistol/Shield to their strengths, or how one would actively integrate different elixirs into their build and in what ways that alters the rotation.

I want to be able to show how integrating the Rifle into your build affects things, such as swapping out for Blunderbuss, but I can't do that because I put on the Pistol and Shield when I created the build. Furthermore, I selected the Med Kit to best represent how Altruism worked, but the Healing Turret is just as important, especially since it would be great to show all the different types of healing rotations one could go through by triggering Regenerating Mist and slapping down a ton of Blast finishers.

I think the simple fix to this would be, rather than limiting me to selecting the skills I have posted in my build, allowing me to select from the list of all my class skills when constructing rotations. This way, I could create multiple rotations that properly shows other players the flexibility and dynamics of the class.

I really like the way you guys have this guide system set up, and I want to full-time my guide here, but this motion would make things a lot easier on me, and would probably benefit other players as well.

Keep up the good work.

#2 Illurion

Illurion

ITM Admin

• Administrators
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

It sounds like you're trying to make a general guide for the Engineer profession, as opposed to one for a specific build. I can see if we can come up with a way to allow people to toggle the ability to select from any skill for the rotations, but even then I think it would feel like you're trying to fit something into our structure that doesn't really work since we're entirely designed around the idea of describing how to play a particular build.

Another possiblity you might look into would be to write up individual guides for each build, and then write an overall Engineer guide on the class forums or elsewhere and link to the build guides from there.

"Man, all these chickens and me without a shovel" -Illurion

#3 Phineas Poe

Phineas Poe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:16 AM

Maybe I poorly represented myself, but I am not writing a general PvE guide to the Engineer. I am simply writing up my FT/EG build, which is very adaptive and was intentionally designed to be flexible.

This is all the same build with the same trait allocation, armor, and overall design philosophy. The only difference is that I do swap between the Rifle and Pistol/Shield just as I would swap between the Scepter/Shield and the Staff for my Guardian depending on the fight.

A lot of PvE is about swapping utilities to suit the proper situation; I think it would be very important for a Fractal Guardian build to establish how exactly a rotation between Shield of the Avenger, Wall of Reflection, and Shield of Absorption looks like, and I don't know if I think it's really ergonomic to have to create and link an entirely different build just for those situations because the other half of playing the Guardian in Fractals is effectively using the Staff in conjunction with your Hammer or Greatsword through Line of Warding and Empower. Ultimately, it's all still the same build, isn't it?

The FT/EG build I run and wrote the guide to definitely has a distinct playstyle to it, and should be seen as an identifiable "build" for the Engineer in PvE.

By allowing us the freedom to pick and choose whatever skills are most relevant to each situation, it provides significantly more depth to the rotation design and really brings to life the versatility of some builds. The guide would still have its main utilities at the top, but no one just picks 3 utilities and has them sit on their bar for 100% of all dungeon or fractal content, and I would like the construction of rotations to allow that ... though I understand that you guys have priorities and that it isn't a dealbreaker for most players.

I just really happen to like the medium you guys have constructed here, and I would be even more happy if you made this change.

Thank you for taking the time to respond, and so soon. I said it already, but seriously: keep it up. I don't use any other skill calculator anymore, and I could easily see this being my main source for build ideas. I'm spreading the word.

#4 Illurion

Illurion

ITM Admin

• Administrators
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:05 AM

Hmm, sounds reasonable when you put it like that. I'll have to run it past Jano since he handles our graphical design, but I bet we can get a toggle in the skill menu somewhere that will enable "all-skills mode" or something like that. No promises on when it'll be done, since we have a few other urgent things we need to get out this weekend (and we're all still pretty fried from the crunch to get the guides feature done), but it doesn't seem like it should take too long

"Man, all these chickens and me without a shovel" -Illurion

• Phineas Poe likes this

#5 Phineas Poe

Phineas Poe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:28 AM

No promises on when it'll be done, since we have a few other urgent things we need to get out this weekend (and we're all still pretty fried from the crunch to get the guides feature done), but it doesn't seem like it should take too long

By all means, take your time. It's something I think would really expand the content of my guide, but I can find a way to work around it in the mean time.

Thanks for just taking it under consideration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users